Thursday, October 15, 2020

Create USB Windows 10 Installer in Ubuntu System

 As the title clearly says, creating bootable USB in the Ubuntu system is a bit challenging as compared to the Windows system. Windows system provided their own tool and we can seamlessly create a bootable thumb drive. After the less availability of CD ROMs, it is very important to know how to create bootable USB disks. 

Yes, I also tried to use some of the tools I was familiar with, such as UnetBootIn, copying with dd tool, etc, but unfortunately, I was unsuccessful. It creates a bootable USB, but the problem, the installation of windows crashes, with some file related error. 

Because I did not have any windows system in my machines, and I have to install windows in my newly bought notebook, I have to create anyhow a bootable Windows 10 installer using my Linux machine. I carried out some research on this, got a working tool to create a bootable Windows installer on USB.

1) Installation of WOEUSB command

What I did is, I have first of all run a couple of Linux commands to add the repository, then install the tool.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8

sudo apt udpate

sudo apt intall woeusb

Now installation completes. 

2) Get USB Info

We have to find out the usb device id (for example: /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc). Using one of the following commands, we can find out that information:

sudo fdisk -l

lsblk 

3) Unmount the USB Disk

This is important, we have to unmount the USB before carrying out the problem. There is a simple command to carry out this task:

sudo umount /dev/sdb1

3) Create the installer 

The final step is to run a command to create the actual installer. 

sudo woeusb --target-filesystem NTFS --device Win10_2004_English_x64.iso /dev/sdb

Here, Win10_2004_English_x64.iso is the iso file downloaded from the Microsoft site. Which can be freely downloaded. 

/dev/sdb is the path of the USB disk.

It can take up to 5-6 minutes depending upon how fast your system is.

After the process finishes, we are ready to use it as a windows 10 installer. 



No comments:

Post a Comment